Tuesday, November 2, 2010

You say goodbye, and I say Hello ...

Hello, hello :)

A quilt. The quilt. The first quilt I ever quilted. I'm sure, in years to come, this blog post will be looked at by myself as some kind of 'whoa, that really sucked!' moment, or perhaps a 'I seriously gave that away? But it's not perfect! What was I thinking?' moment.

Either way, it's done, washed on hot and shrunk a little in the drier for some crinkly goodness, and I'm going to show it to you.

Disclaimer: I was home alone with two 'resting' children when taking these photos. It is actually straight in real life.

The middle panel, right and left sides, and backing are all upcycled from a 'quilt' (by which I mean, some thick polyester ripped batting in the middle, the only quilting stitched in a big rectangle near the edge) I found at our church's Market Day (kindof like a fair) last year.The rest of the fabrics are yellows from stash.

Have a look at the quilting. See how brave I am for posting these pics?

And the backing. A strategically placed photo to not show too much of the pulls in the fabric.
So why goodbye? This first of mine is going in the quilting world is going to be a Christmas present for a not-yet-born niece or nephew of mine. And they will not care about the imperfections that I see - it will hopefully keep them warm - we've given it lots of hugs for them already.


And hello? I have something delicious to introduce to you - my latest purchases from Red Riding Hood Yarns  -  'Walk in the Woods' in sock yarn and 'Zeus' in laceweight (eek!).

These colours are amazing (truer in this photo though)- aren't you glad I introduced you?

3 comments:

JJ said...

I think crafters are their own worst critics LOL It's a gorgeous quilt, you've done very well.

highwaycottage said...

Well done Anne, it looks fabulous !!!! I'm very sure the recipients will love it.

Ready to make the next one yet??

I should be sleeping said...

Thanks ladies :)
Jj - I'm the worst critic of my crafts, for sure! If it's not perfect every time then I'm not happy - unrealistic much??
Viv - I've actually got two more tops (!) to make backings for and quilt, one for my boy and one for my girl. Just need to find the time ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...