Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tutorial: How to Make Crayons

My first tutorial, how very exciting!

I don't know about you, but my miss4yo and mr2yo break a wax crayon or two (the thin ones) almost every time they're used.
What is a thrifty mum to do with those broken crayons?
Make new ones!




Note: please make sure you're doing this in a well-ventilated area as our crayons were quite fumey when hot.

Step 1: Preheat oven to 180'C/350'F.

Step 2: Collect and de-wrapper broken crayons.

Step 3: Grease metal muffin tray (you could use a friand tin or mini muffin trays too, just would end up with a different shape at the end). Place crayons in the tin, either by colour (as we have done) or randomly to create rainbow crayons.




Step 4: Place in oven for 3-5 minutes, till crayons are melted.

Step 5: Place metal tray straight into the fridge (I put a teatowel down on the glass shelf and then put the tray on and shut the door).

Step 6: Open the windows, turn the exhaust fan on if need be like we did. Wait ;)

Step 7:
Tip crayons out of the tray when hard.



Step 8: Find the nearest child and get them to test drive them for you.



These circular crayons fit nicely in my miss4yo's hand and can be used in pencil-type grip if turned on their side.






Seriously, this was so easy, and was a great activity for miss4yo and I to do together (though she was shepherded quickly outside when the smells happened when I took the crayons out of the oven). She loved tearing the paper off the crayons and also liked having the decision-making power of which crayon went with which other colours.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Going to try this today. I've got a drawer full of broken crayons.

I should be sleeping said...

A drawerful! Wow. Only thing I would say after using our crayons is that thicker ones (meaning, if you melt more crayons at a time to make a new one) seem to work better for drawing (the thinner ones seem to break).
Hope that helps :)

Virginia said...

I so need to do this!! Might help Josh with his pencil grip too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...