Thursday, May 19, 2011

Do you think I should do something about the cobwebs on this page?


I've thought alot about how to write this post. Going over in my head the different angles to take, the different points to raise, how to write without seeming too critical ... and the days ticked over. And again. And again.

So now, more than a month later, I'm just going to write it.

In the last month, I've started up a web-based business, selling my knitted creations. It's based on a popular social networking site, which is linked to my personal profile on that site.

And this is the reason I've wondered about what to post here, on my blog. A blog that nobody (apart from one lovely person who has a secret blog of her own!) in my person-to-person face-to-face everyday 'real life' (ok, apart from my husband) knows that I have. A blog on which I feel like I have the freedom to write what I want, when I want to. That I can show whatever part of my life, crafty or kid-related, personal or not, without filtering myself based on who I think could read it and be offended/think differently of me/not know what to say.

A blog that is mine, just for me, and one which I feel quite protective about.

I've thought about what to do - do I advertise on here for the shop? Do I link from the shop to here? Do I write on my business cards (yes, as of today, I have actual real beautiful business cards!) this web address and hope that my posts here somehow inspire people to buy my stuff?

Anyway, in case the intentional vagueness of this post hasn't tipped you off, I won't be doing any of that.
For me, blog and business are going to be separate, at least for now. I like it here - maybe one day I'll be brave enough to share it with the world and not care about what people around me will think of it and me and the things I spend my time making.

I know its probably much bigger for me than for any of you. And I also know there are a few of you that know the business that I'm talking about. If you don't mind humouring me, can we keep it just between us? It's really going to be much nicer here without me spruiking my stuff in every post anyway.

P.S. For those playing along at home with the last post - I chose the sparkly ones :)

2 comments:

JJ said...

What a feeling of relieved understanding when I read this post. I avoid "spilling" on my blog because I'm worried over who will read it (but to be honest not many people "I" know have any idea I have a blog). What started out as an alternative to a journal has pretty much stagnated because it's just too public - one of the reasons I don't go on Facebook much. I've gone back to paper and pen to regurgitate my inner most thoughts. It's such a shame too because people can be so judgemental. We need to take a step back and value everyone's opinions whether they be the same as our own or completely opposite.

Virginia said...

Hey chick, totally understand with this too. Hence why I started a separate blog for my business (though it doesn't get much attention). I've even tried to make sure that there is no way anyone from the business blog can go to my profile and get back to my personal blog.....

I say do whatever feels best for you now. I'm actually thinking of stopping my business blog now because I just don't have the time for it, it feels pointless at the moment and I would rather blog personally out into blogland anonymously.

See you soon :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...